Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt and Tony DiTerlizzi

When I first saw this picture book I was attracted to its gorgeous illustrations. The old fashioned black and white silent film look to it is really fascinating. I was at a book fair at school and one of my second grade students was near me.  She allowed me to read the book to her. When the story was over, I was in shock. I put the book down and she walked away. I had not been prepared for the ending. A few moments later, when the shock was over, I asked the student what we can learn from the story of the Spider and the Fly. Without hesitation she said, "Don't go into a stranger's house." This simple story teaches an important lesson in a very safe environment for children. Since that time, I have read this story to all of my classes. After the story is read, I ask them what we can learn from the story and each time, the first thing they mention is not to go into a stranger's house. The only exception was when I substitute taught a kindergarten class. I think the concept was too abstract for their young minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment