Sunday, January 24, 2010

Holes by Louis Sachar

I like reading books by Louis Sachar. I read all of his Wayside School books and the Marvin Redpost books are so fun to read. When I found out that he had written a book that received a Newberry Award I was in shock. I could not believe that Louis Sachar could write a book that good. The cover of the book gave me an impression of Sci-fi and I could not believe that he could write a Sci-fi book worthy of a Newberry Award. Sadly to say, I judged the book by its cover. When I found out Disney was making a movie about Holes I decided that "Holes" must be worth reading after all. As usual with Louis Sachar books, it was a delight to read but I was still unsure about the Newberry worthiness. Then as I came near the end of the story, I discovered how cleaver and wonderful the book was and felt it deserved the award. I also chastised myself for waiting so long to read the book. The movie does a fairly good job following the book and I did enjoy watching it. There is nothing like the wonder of reading this book, it just is not the same if you saw the movie first. I am glad I read the book before seeing the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment